Instruction for use
Follow the manufacturer's instructions recommended for the particular catheter ultilized. Specific catheter volumes are associated with each device and must be strictly followed.
- Before each use, Geistlich TauroSept® should be inspected for the presence of visible particles. Do not use Geistlich TauroSept® if particles are visible.
- Flush the catheter with 10 ml sterile physiological Saline solution before Installation of Geistlich TauroSept®
- Disinfect the surface of the septum of opened vials with a non-iodine based disinfectant immediately before using Geistlich TauroSept®.
- Allow Geistlich TauroSept® to remain inside the catheter for at least 30 minutes. If treating an infected catheter allow Geistlich TauroSept® to remain inside the catheter for 12 hours and replace the product every 12 hours until the desired effect is achieved.
- Withdraw if possible and discard Geistlich TauroSept® before the next use of the catheter.
Geistlich TauroSept® is not to be used for systemic injection. The solution should be withdrawn from the catheter before next use. If withdrawal of Geistlich TauroSept®is not possible for technical reasons, e. g. with totally implantable venous access systems (portacaths), or clinically not wanted, e. g. in parenteral nutrition, the flushing of Geistlich TauroSept® can be done without systemic effect.
- Geistlich TauroSept® should be handled with caution in patients with a known allergic predisposition.
- Geistlich TauroSept®must not be mixed with oxidizing agents such as Dakin's solution (sodium hypochlorite), povidone iodine, or hydrogen peroxide because of oxidation to formic acid.
- Geistlich TauroSept® does not impair the anti-coagulant effect of heparin as shown in in-vitro studies, animal experiments, and in a limited number of patients in clinical trials. However, in individual cases decreased patency of the catheter may occur. In clinical practise, tissue plasminogen activator (r-tPA) was successfully applied when thrombolytic intervention was required in taurolidine containing lock solutions.
- The Geistlich TauroSept®solution must only be instilled once and the withdrawn residue must be disposed of.
- Do not use Geistlich TauroSept® if the vial is damaged.
Presentation and package sizes
Each original pack contains 5 glass vials containing 6 ml or 10 ml of Geistlich TauroSept®. The product is sterile. The content of a vial is for a single patient only and must be used within 48 hours after the first puncture. Write time and date the vial was opened on the vial label. Re-sterilisation is not possible! Dispose of unused portions of the solution and withdrawn residues from access systems. Do not use if the packaging is damaged. If the packaging is opened and no date and time indicating 1st opening are legible on the vial, the product must not be used.
Geistlich TauroSept® should be stored horizontally at temperatures between 15 and 25°C. Geistlich TauroSept® must not be stored in the refrigerator. Shelf life: 4 years for unopened vials.