Advanced approach - Immediate implant placement
The immediate placement of an implant in fresh extraction sockets is a tempting therapy option1. It can save time, reduce surgeries and benefit patients, but should be carried out only by experienced surgeons and after strict case selection. Careful planning is needed to avoid treatment failure and aesthetic complications2-4.
In cases of immediate implant placement, filling the gap between the implant and the buccal bone plate reduces bone resorption and enhances aesthetic outcome5.
Clinical case: Immediate implant placement with minor bony defect using Geistlich Bio-Oss® Collagen, Geistlich Bio-Gide® and Geistlich Mucograft® Seal.
Immediate implant placement in combination with Geistlich biomaterials preserves 3D ridge volume compared with immediate implant placement alone5.
- Chen ST et al. Int J Oral Maxillofac Implants 2009; 24 Suppl: 272-78. (Consenus Statement)
- Koh RU et al. Implant Dent 2010,19(2): 98-108. (Review)
- Evans CDJ & Chen ST. Clin Oral Implants Res 2008; 19: 73-80. (Retrospective review)
- Hämmerle C et al. Clin Oral Implants Res 2012; 23 Suppl 5: 80-82. (Osteology Consensus Report)
- Cardaropoli D et al. Int J Periodontics Restorative Dent. 2014 Sep-Oct;34(5):631-7. (Clinical study)