Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
- Dental implants: To support and augment the jaw bone when using dental implants, if the existing amount of bone is not sufficient for long-term stable tooth anchoring.
- Periodontitis: To preserve existing teeth that have lost their secure anchorage in the jaw bone as a result of periodontal disease (e.g. due to bacterial tooth plaque).
- Extensive bone damage: Bone reconstruction after extensive bone loss.
Meticulous selection of raw materials, together with a strictly controlled manufacturing process, allows Geistlich biomaterials to conform to the highest safety requirements and ensures high tolerability.
Our strict manufacturing criteria:
- Careful selection of raw materials for the manufacture of Geistlich biomaterials, using bone substance or collagen only from monitored establishments.
- Highly effective cleaning process using chemical and physical treatments and long periods of heating (Geistlich Bio-Oss®).
- Monitored production process with regular checks by independent institutions and state authorities.
- Sterilisation of end products.
- Documented quality assurance system.
- Aesthetic impairment: The gum follows the receding bone leading to visible blemishes.
- Hygiene problems: If you wear a bridge, the resulting gaps can make it more difficult, or impossible to clean.
- Difficulty with articulation: The change in the mouth affects articulation.
- Expensive and complicated follow-up treatments: The loss of bone has to be compensated later with laborious bone and soft-tissue augmentation.
Geistlich biomaterials have been part of the standard therapy in the field of bone reconstruction by dentists and dental surgeons for many years. They are the biomaterials most frequently used in regenerative dental medicine throughout the world and have been used many million times, so extensive amounts of data and reports of experience exist. In addition, a great number of clinical studies document the reliability of our products.
Geistlich Bio-Oss® is intermingled with new bone after four to six months and is then included in the natural remodelling process of the bone. The protective Geistlich Bio-Gide® membrane as well as our soft-tissue matrices Geistlich Mucograft® and Geistlich Fibro-Gide® are broken down naturally by the body and replaced by body tissue